BUDAPEST ZOO AND BOTANICAL GARDEN, HOUSE OF THE KATTA MONKEYS (RING-TAILED LEMURS) 1994
The ring-tailed lemurs reside on an island in the large pond of the Zoo. Whenever they are hungry or cold, they walk on a floating log to their house on the shore, where they can find shelter. The 12 m2 dwelling is hanged on wooden consoles over the pond to prevent any “illegal actions” of the lemurs.
Photo by: Péter Kis
The Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden was opened for the public in 1866, and has undergone two dramatic changeovers during the last hundred years. From 1907 to 1912, the completely outdated facility was fundamentally reconstructed; then, after nearly 90 years of “use”, a longer process has started: over an about 25-years period, the Garden had been almost completely renovated, upgraded, and reconstructed according to modern zoo standards.
In the comprehensive renewal program, several architect studios were commissioned for the different projects; our studio’s first task was to prepare the plans for the Katta Monkey House in fall 1993. This first commission was followed by a number of increasingly complex tasks: after designing several pavilions, reconstructions, and renewals, we had the opportunity to prepare the reconstruction plans of the Great Rock, and the plans for the intended Zoological Museum in the interior of the rock. The reconstruction and expansion works of the zoo buildings received the ICOMOS Prize in 2009.
Over this 20-years cooperation period, our studio has prepared reconstruction and renovation plans, and original concepts and designs for the following projects: